History


A Brief History

For more than three hundred years First Church has been a gathering of people dedicated to Christ’s call. 

The first gathering of the Congregational Church in Suffield occurred around the time of the community’s permanent settlement in 1670 when the settlers provided for “the use of the Church of God forever.” They set aside land for an assembly hall for religious as well as governmental town meetings, recognizing the need for a place for settlers to gather in faith. It was formally organized with the ordination of the first minister, the Reverend Benjamin Ruggles in 1698. 

The very first meeting house was on the green in the heart of the community. The original location of that meeting house is marked by a boulder on the town green, which is directly in front of the church today.

The present building is the fifth meeting house. Designed by local architect, John C. Mead, it was built in 1869.

In 1956, a new wing added a chapel, Church School classrooms, offices, meeting rooms, and a fellowship hall with adjoining kitchen.

The sanctuary, chapel, and lobby area were completely renovated in 2000.